If you are looking for numbers greater or equal to a million, I don't have that
information. If you know and/or have any information, please email me.
Counting in Hmong is very consistent except for the number 20 (twenty). Not sure
why, but the three languages, Laos, Hmong and English that I know have the same
problem with this number, twenty. We will leave that to another semester. For now
let's see if we can count to ten in Hmong first.
Our goal is to help you count from 1 to 100 or even 100,000 if you are willing to learn.
First, let's just assume that you know the numbers from 1 and 10. If you
don't, please click on the numbers above and don't stop until you can say
each number correctly.
Now counting after the number ten, kaum
is really easy.
To count 11, 12, 13 etc... to 20, just keep saying the word kaum
and then repeat the numbers 1
, 3, to 9 and then twenty,
Once you reach twenty, 20, or nees nkaum
in Hmong, you repeat the same process over. Meaning just keep saying
nees nkaum 1
, nees nkaum
etc... until 9
the number thirty, 30, or peb caug
You keep counting like this until you reach one hundred, 100, or ib puas
But before you get too excited, let me throw in a few exceptions like the English
language to you. Here are the rules or normal use:
- The word kaum means 10, like ten
- The word nees nkaum means twenty, like 20. However, I believe the correct way is ob caug
- The word caum or caug means ten or ty in forty, sixty, seventy
- The word pua or puas means hundred
- The word txhiab means thousand
- The word caug only use after numbers 3, 4, 5. Like peb caug, tsib caug
- The word caum only use after numbers 6, 7, 8, 9. Like rau caum, xya caum
- The word puas only use after number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Like peb puas, tsib puas
- The word pua only use after numbers 6, 7, 8, 9. Like rau pua, cuaj pua
- The word txhiab use afer any numbers, i.e., 1-9.
If you still need help, please download my free dictionary software and/or the CAT Programs above. They come with sounds both in Hmong and in English. Good luck and please let me know if you find this website helpful :)